Early Years - Otters and Badgers 2020 - 2021
A particular warm welcome to all our new children and parents who have just joined our Abingdon Family. We are really looking forward to getting to know you and working alongside your children.
Reception is the first step in your child’s school journey. It will be an exciting and memorable year where the children will grow, play and learn together. Throughout the year you will be invited into school to look closely at how your child is developing and settling into school life.
During the first term we will be concentrating on getting to know each other, encouraging independence, making new friends and learning the school routines.
Mrs Purslow - EYFS lead - Designated Safeguard Lead for Early Years - Reception Otters
Miss Hall - Class Teacher - Reception Badgers
Mrs McFadden - Cover Supervisor - Reception Otters
Mrs Darley - Teaching Assistant - Reception Badgers
Important Messages for Parents & Carers
- Our day begins at 8.40am and finishes at 3.00pm.
- Please can your child come to school every day with a water bottle and their book bag.
- Milk Money (50p) will be collected every Monday on the gate.
- Please can all clothing be labelled including their shoes - as we will swap them throughout the day to put on our wellies.
- PE sessions in the hall will begin in Autumn 2. The children can come to school every Thursday up until Christmas in their PE kits which is a plain white t-shirt, black leggings or trackie bottoms (black shorts in the summer months) a pair of trainers and their red Abingdon jumper/cardigan to keep them warm.
Number Bonds Game
- The children work really hard to earn points for displaying skills such as good listening, working hard, and team work. When the children gain 10 points they can select a prize from the prize box, their points are reset and the children start again to earn another 10 points. This is shared with parents through class dojo so they can see their child’s achievements.
- On a Friday we have 'magic milk straws' (milkshakes) this is a whole class celebration for having a super week at school.
- We have stars of the day where two children are chosen to sit on the ‘star of the day’ chairs. When the adults pick at the end of the day, we explain to the children why they have been chosen and celebrate together their hard work.
- At the end of the half term we have various themed celebrations e.g. Halloween film and popcorn, Christmas party day. This is to acknowledge the hard work and effort the children have put in during the term.
Contact Details & Class Dojo
At Abingdon Primary School we use a commucation & rewards app called Class Dojo. This provides the children with an opportunity to earn points based on skills and values created in class and also links in with the schools core values of resilience, respect and responsibility. We use Class Dojos to engage parents by sharing photos and videos of exciting moments in the classroom. It is also an effective way for teachers and parents to communicate.
Our Early Years Curriculum
In Reception we follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum which your child will have been following to support their development whilst they attended nursery.
This curriculum is play based and our teachers carefully plan learning opportunities around the children's play with a balance of child - initiated learning and teacher led. Play is essential for children’s development, building their confidence as they learn to explore, to think about problems, and relate to others. Children learn by leading their own play, and by taking part in play which is guided by adults.
There are seven areas of learning and development within the curriculum. All areas of learning and development are important and inter-connected. They are....
Early Years at Abingdon Primary
Please find below our In The Moment Planning (ITMP) document for more information.
INSET day Monday 2nd Novenber
Children come back Tuesday 3rd September
Children in Need 13th November
Anti Bullying Week W/C 16th November
INSET day Friday 11th December
Break up Tuesday 22nd December
Files to Download
Early Years - Otters and Badgers: News items
Early Years - Otters and Badgers: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Early Years - Otters and Badgers: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Early Years - Otters and Badgers: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display