Early Years - Badgers and Hedgehogs 2022 - 2023
We want to start by saying a big WELCOME from the Reception Team. We hope that your child is beginning to settle in their new school routine and if you have any questions or concerns please email or send a dojo message to your child's class teacher.... as we are ALWAYS here to help!!
The first year is extremely important as this is where we lay the foundations for your child’s learning journey.
During the first term we will be ensuring your child is….
- Coming into school happy!!!
- Becoming independent
- Being able to take their jumper off independently
- Learning how to sit and listen in a group
- Making new friends
- Helping at tidy up time
- Taking turns
- Walking down the corridor
- Sitting and eating their lunch
- Going to the toilet their self
- Putting their hand up to answer questions on the carpet
Mrs Purslow - EYFS lead - Designated Safeguard Lead for Early Years
Miss Hall - Temporary EYFS Lead and Class Teacher - Reception Badgers
Miss Cleary - Class Teacher - Reception / Year 1 Hedgehogs
(Covering Mrs Purslow's Maternity Leave)
Mrs McFadden - Teaching Assistant & Mid-Day Assistant
Mrs Darley - Teaching Assistant & Mid-Day Assistant
Important Messages for Parents & Carers
- Our day begins at 8.45am and finishes at 3.10pm.
- Please send your child to school every day with: a water bottle, a coat and their book bag.
- Reading Books will be changed on Monday's and Thursday's. Please ensure you child's reading log is filled so we know they are ready for a new book. Your child will also have ‘tricky red words’ in their book bags, please continue to practise at home every night and let us know when you feel they are ready for the next set.
- Milk is provided by a company called School Milk UK - if you would like your child to have milk at school please log onto the following website https://www.freshpastures.co.uk/parents.php
- Please ensure that all clothing is labelled, including their shoes, as we will swap them throughout the day to put on our wellies.
- Our PE lessons will take place every Tuesday. The children should come to school already wearing their PE kit. Our PE kit consists of: a plain white t-shirt, black leggings or track suit bottoms (black shorts in the summer months), trainers and their red Abingdon jumper/cardigan.
Number Bonds Game
- The children work really hard to earn points for displaying skills, such as: good listening, working hard, and team work. This is shared with parents through class dojo so they can see their child’s individual achievements.
- Every day we pick two 'Stars of the Day', and these children sit on our special 'Star of the Day' chairs, throughout the following day. When the adults pick at the end of the day, we explain to the children why they have been chosen and celebrate their hard work, together.
- At the end of the half term we have various themed celebrations e.g. Halloween film and popcorn, Christmas party day. This is to acknowledge the hard work and effort the children have put in during the term.
- We also have whole class rewards.
Contact Details & Class Dojo
At Abingdon Primary School we use a commucation and rewards app called 'Class Dojo'. This provides the children with an opportunity to earn points based on skills and values created in class and also links in with the schools core values of resilience, respect and responsibility. We use Class Dojos to engage parents by sharing photos and videos of exciting moments in the classroom. It is also an effective way for teachers and parents to communicate.
Early Years at Abingdon Primary
Please find our 'EYFS Policy' and our 'EYFS Long Term Plan' attached below. These documents detail the learning that takes place throughout your child's time in Reception. More information about our Early Years Curriculum, can be found under the 'Curriculum' section of the website.
Files to Download
Early Years - Badgers and Hedgehogs: News items
Newsletter 26th may 2023, by Murray
Newsletter 19th May 2023, by Murray
Newsletter 12th May 2023, by Murray
Early Years - Badgers and Hedgehogs: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Early Years - Badgers and Hedgehogs: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Early Years - Badgers and Hedgehogs: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display