Art and Design
At Abingdon Primary School, we believe that Art should be fully inclusive to every child. Art and Design stimulates imagination and creativity; involving children in a range of visual, tactile and sensory experiences, which enable them to communicate what they see, think and feel through colour, texture, form and pattern.
Our Art curriculum provides children with opportunities to develop their skills using a range of media and materials. Children learn the skills of drawing, painting, printing, textiles, 3D and sculpture and collage and mixed media work.
They are given the opportunity to explore and evaluate different creative ideas-of others and their own. The skills and knowledge they acquire are applied to their cross-curricular topics, allowing children to use their art skills to reflect on and explore topics in greater depth.
Our aims are to:
- fulfil the requirements of the National Curriculum for art and design,
- provide a broad and balanced curriculum,
- ensure the progressive development of knowledge and skills,
- enable children to observe and record from first-hand experience and from imagination,
- develop the children’s competence in controlling materials and tools,
- acquire knowledge and become proficient in various art and design techniques and processes,
- begin to develop an awareness of colour, pattern and texture, line and tone, shape, form and space,
- begin to develop an appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of significant artists, craftspeople and designers,
- increase critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures and analyse works using the language of art and design.
- enable all children to have access to a varied range of high quality art experiences
- inspire confidence, value and pleasure in art